Mini Makeover: Egee Pupetrina

  







 Pupetrina is a 22" puppet doll made in 1963 by Egee. She has a opening in her back that you can put your hand to control her arms.

Puppetrina has a vinyl head and arms, a soft body and hard plastic legs and partial torso. Her soft body is filled with a single roll of foam and the whole contraption is held together by a candy-striped onsie that snaps at the crotch.

 She was in pretty good shape, just surface dirt and crazy hair.
I gave her a cleaning up with a magic eraser on her vinyl and plastic parts and soaked the lower part of her onsie in water and oxyclean--it was the only soiled part, luckily the rest of her soft body was very clean and in great shape without rips or stains.

 I was worried about the hair--it is the very thin strand, dry hair and it was matted and tangled. I washed her hair with warm water and Pantene conditioner and carefully combed it out and set it on small perm rods. When it was dry I brushed out the ringlets with a natural bristle brush and it just turned into a cloud of honey loveliness :)

For her new outfit I wanted something to kinda disguise the fact that she has no shoulders to speak of, so I made a dress using Simplicity Crafts 9066 for 18" dolls (view B). It has a big "collar" I thought would help balance her drooping shoulders. I modified the pattern by shortening the sleeves (Puppetrina has bent arms and the long sleeve patterns for straight arm dolls usually makes big folds of fabric along the arms-which I do not like,so I needed to keep the sleeve above her elbow) I also used bias tape to finish the neckline as I don't like leaving a raw edge at the neck as the pattern instructs.
I found some shoes and tights that were perfect for her in my dolly odds and ends stash.

I love her! She is now part of the permanent collection.

I made her a quick hand puppet--just seemed right :)

Puppet Show!

I have been to quite a few Estate/Yard sale lately that have had a lot of dolls (!!!!!) theses are some of the lovelies that I have been lucky to find--who are currently awaiting their turn for a mini-makeover. Among them are Bonomi Kitty (she is in the worse shape--but I am dying over how gorgeous she is!!!), Belly Button Me So Silly, Ideal Corrine, a couple Horseman girls and a 50's ballerina with a missing foot....





Comments

  1. I've been wanting a Puppetrina for a while now. I love her sweet face.Your hair restoration on this one is encouraging me that I can get a 'tired' girl and make her wonderful again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks lovely after her restoration. Her hair is beautiful and really lifts her whole face. Her dress is lovely too. Looking forward to the rest of your restorations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts