Sewing for Dolls: Quilt Inspired Doll Dresses for Crissy and Velvet

I finally made some more doll dresses. My girls are happy--these chicas were still wearing their Christmas Dresses. These fabrics I had actually bought for quilting, my new obsession, but I got to looking at them and thought they would make some sweet boutique dresses for the girls.
The end result, cute boutique dresses that only used 1 fat quarter each (mix and match). These are Ideal Velvet dolls I have customized now known as Mo and Lizzy L-R

Two more dresses. I sewed them all assembly line style.--There a few left to sew up. This is an customized Ideal Crissy, who I have named Cheryl and her friend, an original Ideal Cricket-her name is Cricket :)
Making a quilt has made me realize (already!) how to best conserve fabric and how to chain piece. Here I the fabrics I started with.


My idea for the dresses--simple faced square neck bodice with 3/4 sleeve so that both Crissy and Velvet size dolls could wear them, and a full skirt with ruffle.


To do this all assembly line style, I laid out my pieces and the cut this size block out of each of my fat quarters.





Here are all the blocks.


Then I cut the patterns out of each

Bodice fronts, backs, sleeves and facings all cut out.

This long piece is now cut straight across and becomes the skirt pattern piece.


Another photo of the cutting the skirt piece, that piece above the ruler went in my quilt scrap bag, so I will have a piece to quilt with afterall--I am loving using the rotary cuter or this--so easy!

I first sewed the bodices together at the shoulder--I just chain pieced one after the other--just like you do in quilting--so much faster--never thought of doing that before. I also chained pieced the sleeves all the hemming, everything I could.

Mixing and matching the pieces to make dresses was the fun part.


Comments

Popular Posts