Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Doll Make Over: Vogue Brikette

I bought a couple of Vogue Brikettes a while back they have been impatiently waiting for me to clean them up and dress them. 

I really have always loved Brikette's face --she's up to something! 

Brikette was actually the doll used in the famous Twilight Zone Talky Tina episode, I did not buy her for that reason, but in spite of it--I don't go in for the whole scary, creepy, this-doll-might-kill-me, thing. 

Brikette was made in 2 sizes: 22 inch and 16 inch. Both of mine are marked 1960. 
Early Morning Brikette Spa
All done-- she seemed to want something with that outstretched hand, so I gave her a penny, she is from 1960...so I thought she might be able to get a piece of candy or two with it.

My big Brikette was unstrung so I had to figure out how to restring her--I need to get more info on this process because she is still very floppy. 
I had to make a waist support out of a wide strip of velcro to get her to be even half-way compliant while I cleaned and dressed her. 
Her hair was very nice and original I only needed to wash, condition and let her hair dry with a piece of fabric pressing down her bangs to make them lay flat. I made her a dress. She is a lot bigger than most of my dolls. I used a vintage Ideal Giggles doll pattern as a basis for the dress and then added length and also added elastic at the sleeve ends because she has really big hands and I did not want to make really wide sleeves on her dress.
The smaller Brikette was more of a challenge--she has chewed fingers and she had this hair and it looked cute and maybe fixable, but it was mohair--and I know that Brikette was made with Saran hair so I was very careful when I washed it--but this happened....

Yikes! That mohair was held onto her scalp with glue and scotch tape! So I am re-rooting her...
Will post her "After" photo soon!



8 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: great dolls. Yo are doing a fabulous job. Happy New Year. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marta and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I love how you transform and fix up your dolls. You do a wonderful job. I like to sew doll clothes. I admire you for being able to repair and make dolls better than new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this hobby-the sewing is my favorite part.

      Delete
  3. Yikes, glue and scotch tape - what a nasty surprise! I think the new darker hair colour you have chosen will suit her really well. Looking forward to the 'after' photos. I don't know what you restrung your big doll with but I know my father often used to string dolls with thin elastic because he could pull it so the joints weren't floppy and still moved well. I think as the elastic stretched he just tied it tighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scotch tape was unbelievable! :) I did use elastic--I was thinking the same thing--once it was tight enough it would not have to much give--but I just could not figure out how to get it tight enough!

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    How easy hard was it to re root your Brikette's hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chintzgirl, She was actually very easy to reroot, but I use the rerooting tool.

      Delete