Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Doll Make Over: Vogue Brikette

I finished making-over my little Vogue Brikette.

Before
Yes that is scotch tape-it was holding her hair on!
During-
She was rerooted with Katsilk saran Black Orchid-- one large format and one small format skein. I replaced her sleep eyes too.
After
I made her outfit with a vintage 1970's Simplicity pattern 9698 for 15 1/2" Velvet dolls.

Well, I know I said I don't go in for the whole creepy Talky Tina thing (A Brikette was the doll in that Twilight Zone episode), but as soon as I turned my back on these two after placing them-- they clasped hands and did a Thelma and Louise right off the shelf taking my gorgeous Miss Kittycat with them-- smashing her to a zillion pieces :(

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Doll Make Over: Vogue Brikette

I bought a couple of Vogue Brikettes a while back they have been impatiently waiting for me to clean them up and dress them. 

I really have always loved Brikette's face --she's up to something! 

Brikette was actually the doll used in the famous Twilight Zone Talky Tina episode, I did not buy her for that reason, but in spite of it--I don't go in for the whole scary, creepy, this-doll-might-kill-me, thing. 

Brikette was made in 2 sizes: 22 inch and 16 inch. Both of mine are marked 1960. 
Early Morning Brikette Spa
All done-- she seemed to want something with that outstretched hand, so I gave her a penny, she is from 1960...so I thought she might be able to get a piece of candy or two with it.

My big Brikette was unstrung so I had to figure out how to restring her--I need to get more info on this process because she is still very floppy. 
I had to make a waist support out of a wide strip of velcro to get her to be even half-way compliant while I cleaned and dressed her. 
Her hair was very nice and original I only needed to wash, condition and let her hair dry with a piece of fabric pressing down her bangs to make them lay flat. I made her a dress. She is a lot bigger than most of my dolls. I used a vintage Ideal Giggles doll pattern as a basis for the dress and then added length and also added elastic at the sleeve ends because she has really big hands and I did not want to make really wide sleeves on her dress.
The smaller Brikette was more of a challenge--she has chewed fingers and she had this hair and it looked cute and maybe fixable, but it was mohair--and I know that Brikette was made with Saran hair so I was very careful when I washed it--but this happened....

Yikes! That mohair was held onto her scalp with glue and scotch tape! So I am re-rooting her...
Will post her "After" photo soon!