I finished re-rooting Gavin and now I am working on getting his hair styled into the final shape I want. It is turning out well--except that I smudged his eyebrow a bit. That can be fixed easily though with a little nail polish remover and a touch up with paint. I like working with acrylic paint because it is so easy to re-do--I don't usually seal the paint until the whole project is done, this way if I decide to go another way with his personality (eyebrows=personality to me) I can still make changes. I still need to cut his hair a bit shorter-still too tall--but it has to be slow going at this point because I don't want to cut too much off. I have also been working on the texture--hot water, gel and hair dryer to try and rough it it up a bit and to get it to form that faux hawk look. the part that is not rerooted is going to be flocked--including his side burns-I am now trying to mix just the right color of flocking--I noticed my favorite doll hair website has new flocking colors so I may just get a matching color already made--I can always work on an outfit for him while waiting for the flocking to arrive. Here is a photo of my Moxie Boy Owen, he has a cute old-fashioned Ken totally flocked hair style--I love it! I just noticed there is a bit of Moxie family resemblance between these two boys!
Gavin now has a new hairline, new eyebrows and his re-root started, I am using katsilk saran in Honey Brown with Blondilicious highlights.--He is not going to have a mohawk, once all the hair is in I want to style it a sort of spikey faux hawk like this cute guy. I am going to use flocking on the sideburns and back of the head. I have used this technique before on my "Crissy boys" and it turned out really well, I have also seen this technique used on Bratz and Moxie boyz-it also means less re-rooting-which is always a good thing!
I adore boy dolls!! I went a little crazy and purchased a few (more than a few) Gavins, the new Moxie Teen Boy Doll. He is super cute! I of course do not want six (yes, six) clones so I am going to customize them. Here is a shot of all my guys, and my progress on my first Gavin custom--I am calling him Albert--but we will see who he turns into as he gets closer to finished. The head and eyes were super easy to remove and replace with a little boiling water and my trusty cleoid discoid (a dental tool) if you are customizing dolls I highly reccommend getting a set of dental tools--makes things so much easier when you have the right tools.
I named her Nikki, she reminds a bit of Nicole Kidman-- before she started using a flat iron. It took me a while to figure out how to reroot with this curly hair but I just went for it and I love the way she turned out! I made the freckles by flicking a paintbrush with watered down acrylics near her face--I wanted a super freckle-y look. I did that before the reroot. She has new green Margon 13mm sleep eyes. This is an Ideal 15 1/2" Velvet. Thinking I may need to freckle her arms as well. Click on the photo for a bigger picture-so you can really see all the many many freckles!